Roulette Cake
Every so often I'll make a cake and think "Damn Gurl, you talented!" Maybe not exactly that lingo, but you get the drift. March's cake was one of those times. A friend at work was putting on a casino themed party for her boyfriend's 50th, and asked me to make a roulette cake. Step 1) Say Yes! Step 2) Find out what roulette is. DONE. Okay, so it's that black and red wheel that spins and you roll a little white ball around it. No idea how it's played, I think you guess what number the ball is going to land on...perhaps? Immediately I know I want this cake to spin, but how? I decide to summon the priceless knowledge I learned from my Odyssey of the Mind experience in school. BOOM! Duct Tape! Figit Spinner! Dowel! Cake Board! Fondant! It came together and spun perfectly!! All Done! Oh wait, that's just the spinner, I still need to worry about the entire cake portion of this thing...
Marble Cake: Everyone loves it. You like vanilla? This has it! Oh, you like chocolate? This has that too!! It's a lovely blend of the two classic cakes. I researched some cake formula options and finalized with this one . It's delicious from what I could taste of the scraps. Calls for buttermilk, so you know it's rich and fancy. I've always had some difficulty with creating the perfect marbling patten in a cake. I usually end up over swirling the colors so it all ended up a light brown rather than contrasting colors. I figured out what you have to do is spread a thin layer of vanilla on the bottom of a cake pan. Then dollop blotches of chocolate batter and the remaining vanilla batter on top of that. You can then run your spatula or knife through a couple times and level it out. It the end you should have a perfect swirly pattern.
Raspberry Jam: I love having some kind of fruity tartness to balance out a cake. Jams are great for that. It also refreshes your taste buds as you eat, so they don't get worn down from all those sugars and cake bits. I made my own, but even a jarred jam will church up a cake. Although a warning about those, they usually contain a LOT of excess sugar, which IMO are not necessary. I'm never one to judge though, as I'm someone who eats leftover frosting by the spoonful. Speaking of...
Vanilla Bean and Chocolate Swiss BC: Oh Swiss Buttercream, you silky smooth, seductive pastry masterpiece. I'm not joking when I say I eat leftovers with a spoon. I should be embarrassed, but I have no shame, it's that good! For this cake because it was marble I figured it'd make sense to have both vanilla and chocolate frosting incorporated into it. I used the vanilla bean buttercream in between the layers alongside the raspberry jam. The chocolate I used to frost the entire piece. Most roulette wheels are brownish as well, so it fit the part. Next cake you make please give the Swiss Meringue BC a try, it's not challenging to make, just takes a little extra time. So worth it.
Rice Krispie Treats: Having the spinner in the center of the cake, I wanted to have a raised lip around it, so it appeared like the spinner was sitting down inside. To achieve this I could either cut down into the cake to carve out space, or build up the outside edge to go around the spinner. I choose the latter. I made vanilla bean rice krispie treats and used them to build a lip around the outside. I formed it to be as flush as possible to the cake edge. Then I frosted it like it was a part of the cake, and you'd never know until you cut in!
This cake was so fun to make! Decoration came out fantastic!! I did use fondant on the spinner for decoration, but not on any areas that would be actually eaten. FONDANT IS GROSS PEOPLE! Stop using it. There's no need for it, except if you want to decorate a cake so it appears nothing like an actual cake. WHY!? #teambuttercream
(MIC DROP)
Comments
Post a Comment